Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Already Thinking About Christmas

Most people in their teens and up would exclaim that they want that new handbag from Coach or a Gibson guitar. Whatever it is, it's more normal than what I would want for Christmas. I know it seems odd that I'm talking about Christmas now, but a recent conversation that I had with my sister got me pondering about all holiday and Christmas related things. It's only approximately a month away, so I say what the heck, lets talk about Christmas.

So the question that got me thinking about all of this was "What do you want for Christmas?" Unabashed and almost automatically, I went into a rant about how I wanted cookware. My sister replied with a half exaspperated and humored tone " You're so weird", and I could just picture her rolling her eyes and silently grinning. I know, it seems silly, but this is what food blogs can do to you.

I've always been a foodie and a cook at heart but there are cooking/baking stores out there that will make a regular foodie like me feel like I'm in a candy shop. I've had several encounters with the William Sonoma store in Chicago, and let me tell you, I wanted to chain myself to the furniture and never leave. Once you walk into the store, there is display upon display of the newest and coolest cooking/baking gadgets of the season. The walls have shelves of pots and pans all lined up sleek and shiny, odd utensils and assorted cutlery that you never even thought existed are put on display like mouthwatering chocolates, and the china section in the way back proudly displays eggshell-toned creme brulee ramekins like sugar sculptures. Don't even get me started on the baking section. Let me just say, my sister had to pry my hands away from the pink kitchen-aid mixers and drag me out of the store. It's that cool. Trust me.

Here are some of the sleekest gadgets that would make any foodie the happiest person in the world:

The Imperia Pasta Machine (red). If you've never made you're own pasta, you should. It seems daunting, but really it's the easiest thing in the world to make. This gadget will definitely help get that task done faster.


Oil Mister. If you do alot of cooking with olive oil ( or any oil for that matter) you know that it is sometimes hard to control how much oil to use. This gives you precise control on how much you want to use. Its also nonaerosol, so you can refill it whenever you want.


Electric Egg Cooker. The space-age look of the this dome creates the simplest of foods. It hard-boils, soft cooks, and poaches up to 7 eggs. Just place the eggs inside and a buzzer alerts you when they're done. It would be great to have in the dorm.


Primo Milk Frother. For those of you who are latte and cappuccino aficionados, the milk frother will make hot milk into a rich and creamy concoction. It would be great for hot chocolates too. And now it's cordless, so you can carry it anywhere you would like for an emergency latte frother... not that anybody would have an emergency of such things, but still, it's a nice gadget to have around.


Lastly, Crème Brûlée Torch Set. Sadly, your's truly is not in the possession of ramekins, but I am determined to get these. It comes in a set of 4 with a mini blowtorch. With this, you can make the authentic creamy custards and crackly caramelized sugar crusts. But don't think that crème brûlée is the only thing you can make, the blow torch can be used for melting cheese, roasting bell peppers, and making tasty meringues.

Alas, if I were to buy these gadgets, I could only use them during the breaks. But it is so worth it. I hope you're reading this Stephanie (my sister). :]

1 comment:

Threat Level: Midnight said...

I READ IT!!!
AHHHHHDADADADADLALAAAA

I GET YOU EGG COOKER.
AND EVOO SPRAY.
HAHA