Thursday, November 8, 2007

Oh my God. It's the 100th post!

I honestly remember looking at the counter and thinking, that'd be great to be able to do the 100th post for Food for Thought. Then for some reason I decided to do a blog post while sitting in a library. For no reason. And the little counter says 99 posts, and I am creating, as I type, the 100th post. Awesome. I just figured out a good way to celebrate, seeing as I am making this celebration up as I go along.

I want to take a look at some of the foods that were created just one hundred short years ago, and help you reflect and be thankful for how far we've come:

In 1901, the first peanut butter and jelly sandwich was invented defining the childhood of all who followed.

In 1902, Nabisco first released Animal Crackers. Seriously? They're that old? I bet they had more lax standards on animal rights back then, too. I bet those original cookies came with parts animal species that are now endangered.

In 1903, club sandwiches were invented, oh oh oh yes, and canned tuna was first put on the market, forever giving those creepy kids you ate lunch next to, but never talked to, another way to smell horrible.

In 1904, the first ice cream cones were invented as well as banana splits and Ovaltine. Rich, chocolatey Ovaltine! Try it hot! I loved Ovaltine. I love banana splits. I love ice cream cones.

In 1905, submarine sandwiches and New York style pizza were invented, and all I can say is thank the lord for 1905. Without that year, we'd have no Jared I used to be thiiiis FAT!-commercials.

In 1906, Kellogg's released cornflakes for the first time. The market was, and still remains, incredibly unimpressed.

And finally, in 1912, Oreos were created! Finally, the catalyst in the formation of DIRT PUDDING was invented. All hail dirt pudding, long live the Oreo!

Huh, 100 years ago was a long time, but we still eat these same foods today. Just like how they made all the Spam the world would ever need 100 years ago, but continue to sell it today

I love innovation.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Congrats on your 100th post! I had no idea that some of the foods we eat today are so old. Seriously, who new the amazing taste of animals crackers has been around so long, but I'm pumped about it because I heart them. And oreos. I love oreos too but if they hadn't invented double stuffed, I don't know what I do. Happy eating!