Friday, November 9, 2007

Fitness, Ford Dining Court and The Dreaded Freshman Fifteen

I just finished running at the Co-Rec. I feel great. My body is relaxed and warm.
I am doing my part to keep off the extra pounds many gain from college life, are you?

I have to admit as I type this I am considering my options for the weekend, and my dining situation for tonight and the weekend as well. College life gives you many opportunities to eat more than your fill and to bring along some snacks for the road. Many people think that walking to classes will keep you safe, but when I consider myself an avid to-class-walker, and I count the number of times I take the bus as well, I realize that walking probably won't do the trick.

I played sports and ran track in high school, so running is not a problem for me. The issue has been making it fit into my schedule, and I'm sure thats the case for many college kids too. With the blessed freedom we receive comes responsibility. We have a responsibility to go to class, to live our social life, AND we have a responsibility to our body. It isn't fair for the college student to not treat their body correctly. I'm not saying don't go out and have a good time, believe me I enjoy, no LOVE having a good time, but I also realize the value of good nutrition and fitness for my body.

That's why recently I have started running again using the Co-Rec. The Co-Rec offers numerous ways to work out, from the Colby Fitness center to racket ball courts to the Aquatic Center. I plan on using them all. Since I'm very health conscience (as much as I can be), I've been moderating my intake and trying to eat smart; as well as Running/Swimming/Lifting. I am still working on finding the perfect balance, but it hasn't been that hard to sit down and plan out time in my schedule to do it.

As a college kid that enjoys having a good time and going out on the weekends, and the dining courts (I can't resist the all-you-can-eat part when they have cheese cake and hot fudge!), I can honestly tell you that adding fitness into your schedule will balance everything out for you. You can feel good about yourself and your health, you can look good, and you can have a good time. Equality is good, so is good health and preventing health issues in the future by maintaining good health.

So drink and be merry, and then run hard, lift big and swim long!

Now to figure out my dinner and weekend plans . . .

2 comments:

voiceofreason said...

I think the big secret of not gaining the freshman 15 is to only eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are full. When your body tells you it's hungry, that means you need more calories to keep going, and when you feel full, that means that you are good for a while. Doing this small thing can do wonders. I have gone to the CoRec just twice since I have been here and haven't gained a pound, so something must be working.

Curiosity said...

I actually lost fifteen pounds this year by not having a meal plan. Since I have to pay for all of food out of pocket, I often don't have enough money to eat large amounts. Don't worry though, I can stand to lose another fifteen pounds.

Though I wish I liked running. I see people running by the bus stop all the time and I wish I could find the same joy they find. But I have a slow valve in my heart that makes its hard for me. I do like walking, so I try to pick the bus stop that is farther away than the one that is across the street. I also think the fact that I am claustrophobic which forces me to take the stairs helps a lot too.