Sunday, November 25, 2007

A great place to try!


I believe I have mentioned before how I just adore sushi. My favorite sushi place is in Chicago, called Sushi Wabi. However, since I don't live near there anymore, it gets harder and harder to make it up there. I have found a great sushi place right here in West Lafayette. Its called Heisei and I have been going there for a couple of years now. I used to go there so much that one of the sushi chefs, Jose, knew my friend and I and would send over some special rolls for us.

This place has great atmosphere!! It has the traditional seating where you take your shoes off and sit on the floor. Underneath the tables it is cut out so your legs can go underneath. There is also regular tables for those that do not want to take your shoes off and sit on the floor. The menu is great and has many traditional Japanese items. The sushi menu sits on your table and you mark off which rolls you want and the quantity. My favorites are the spicy spider roll (awesome and I highly recommend it!!), the french roll, the Philadelphia roll, and the spicy tuna. They also have great nigiri which is a slice of the fresh fish on top of rice with a dab or wasabi. Very yummy!

I have also had other dishes besides just the sushi. The mixed tempura is great, the Goma'ae, the combination dinners, and on the lunch menu they have a Japanese curry with tempura shrimp that is delicious. They also have edamame for an appetizer.

If you want to check out their menu and the hours feel free to check out their website here. They are open for lunch and dinner, but close between the two meals.

This is just a great restaurant that has a great staff! I have never had a bad experience here. So go check it out!

1 comment:

Lindsey Deno said...

Oh my gosh, when I was in fifth grade we were studying Japanese culture and took a field trip to Hei Sei and I remember it being an interesting experience. I have been wanting to go back, but no one is ever willing to go with me...

So I haven't been since fifth grade, but I think I'm going to try to get back there soon! Thanks for the good review!