Saturday, October 6, 2007

Awesome farmers market

I went down to Indy today, a little north of Carmel, to a town called Westfield and we hit up a farmers market stand on the side of the road. They really had some awesome stuff like pumpkins, apples, squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, apple cider and a bunch of other things.

For $22 I bought two baskets full of tomatoes, 2 sweet potatoes, 2 butternut squash, 1 acorn squash, and 2 each of 2 different kinds of squash that I had never heard of before but the lady said they were really good. So I decided to go ahead and try them. I also got a little bottle of handmade apple cider, which I have to say, was the best apple cider I have ever tasted. It didn't burn the back of your throat like some commercial brands can.

I asked the lady where they got all their produce from and she told me all around Indiana. That's awesome in my book, its best to support your local farmers because then it keeps the prices low for you and me while still getting that fresh out of the garden flavor.

I really cant wait to eat all this great food. The tomatoes I plan to can for the winter and the squash I am going to eat and then make some into baby food for my son. The sweet potatoes will go great with some grilled chicken or steak. I am just really excited about all my great produce. I love farmers markets!

No comments: