Monday, October 1, 2007

Shark?!


Today when I went to the dining court, where I usually eat, they were serving shark. When I first saw it I was turned off, and then I decided to try something new. I scooped up the grilled shark from the buffet-like counter and put it on my plate. The people I was sitting with looked at me in disgust.

It was grilled shark and it looked like chicken. It was grilled in some kind of sauce that I haven't tasted before. They were thick pieces of shark and I was scared to try it. Finally I tried it, and honestly it tasted like chicken with a small after taste of fish. It wasn't bad at all, but the thought if it didn't make me want to eat the rest.

When I came back from eating, I looked online to see if shark was good for you. I found out that it actually was. Plain shark has an excellent source of Selenium, Magnesium, and Vitamin B12. On the other hand, that is for plain shark. I'm sure the shark and the dining hall wasn't as good for you because of what it was cooked in.

I would suggest always trying new foods, even if they don't sound or look desirable. I found out that I actually liked shark, I just couldn't eat it. Next time, I won't think about it too much before I eat it.

3 comments:

chicken pot guy said...

SHARK! I saw it as well, and also tried it! It was definitely a lot better tasting than I pictured. The meat had a more chicken like texture then general fish-filet does (for me at least). I thought it was scrumptious and am definitely willing to have it again! It was cooked in a sort of Korean marinade (according to the label) and was like a light teriyaki. I definitely recommend it as well!

Laster said...

The dining halls are the perfect place for trying new things. Between the five dining halls there is a wide variety of "new" food. I have really enjoyed trying all the ethnic food. I wasn't really exposed to that before I came to Purdue. When I go to restaurants I am always hesitant to try something new. I do not want to order and pay for a huge plate of food that I might decide I don't like. At the food courts though you can just take little samples from everything to see if you like the new food.

Insignificant Wrangler said...

I love shark, especially on the grill. I'm not into oily fish, so I appreciate how flaky and yet moist shark cooks.

I find that, as I get older, I'm willing to try more things (its getting easier to get past that initial mental unpleasantness). This summer I went to Florida and tried alligator for the first time. Yum.