Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Its time for Pumpkin Pie.





When fall comes, especially with Halloween around the corner, everyone is ready for Pumpkin pie. I had my first piece of the year today and I decided to celebrate it by putting up a recipe for everyone to have! I am going back home this weekend, so I might have my mom try this out too!

While reading, From my French window, I came upon an awesome recipe that you can make from real pumpkins. (not just the kind that comes from a box) it says,

Things you need
1 medium sugar pumpkin
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 pre-made pastry for a 9″ single crust pie
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup honey, warmed slightly
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

  1. Cut pumpkin in half, and remove seeds. Lightly oil the cut surface. Place cut-side down on a pan lined with foil and lightly oiled.
  2. Bake at 325 degrees until the flesh is tender when poked with a fork. Cool until just warm. Scrape the pumpkin flesh from the peel. Mash or puree in small batches using a blender.
  3. In a large bowl, blend together 2 cups pumpkin puree, spices, and salt. Beat in eggs, honey, milk, and cream. Pour filling into pie shell.
  4. Bake at 400 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge of pie comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.


On this website, they also show pictures on what kind of pumpkin to have, what it should feel like, and exact step by step directions with pictures! I think this website could be very helpful in making the perfect pumpkin pie!


For those of us who don't want to cut up a real pumpkin and aren't as good at cooking or baking I found an easier recipe from cdkitchen.com.

Ingredients:
1 (9-inch) unbaked pastry shell
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, ground nutmeg and salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In large bowl, beat all ingredients together with whisk or mixer. Pour into crust and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 35 to 45 minutes longer. Cool before serving.


Good luck on making the perfect pumpkin pie. I hope yours turns out as good as mine was today, even though I didn't make mine.

2 comments:

Lindsey Deno said...

So I am completely in love with fall just for the food!! I wish I was on the food blog now! Especially because I think that I am baking pumpkin chocolate chip cookies this weekend!! They may sound really gross to those of you who have never heard of them but they are truly amazing!!

Laster said...

I love fall and all the food that comes with it too! I enjoy pumpkin anything. My dad makes a pumpkin pie that is healthier for you with tofu in it. Tofu in pumpkin pie sounds bad, but it is actually really really good. Another one of my favorites is pumpkin ice cream (it's the flavor at Harrison grille right now). If you are in the mood for breakfast food look for a pumpkin waffle recipe. They are really good, but make sure not to skimp on the pumpkin :)