Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Black Cat Cookies


Halloween is known for candy and treats. There are always new ways of making Halloween themed cookies and desserts. I am babysitting my cousins this weekend and I was searching for something that we could make together for Halloween. Allrecipes.com had a great idea for cookies, black cat cookies. Kathy Stock, from allrecipes.com says," "Our children look forward to helping me bake these cute cat cookies each year. They've become experts at making the faces with candy corn and red-hots."

According to the website, the prep time is 25 minutes, the cook time is 10 minutes, and they are ready in 35 minutes.

I did a test run on these cookies this weekend to make sure that I did it right next weekend with the kids. A mistake I almost made, like many other people, is to put the candy corn on before you bake the cookies. If you do that it will turn out disastrous. However, if these are done properly, they are cute little treats that kids love to make.

First, before anything, you are going to want to buy Halloween themed plastic cups. The cookies look adorable in these cups and it makes it even more fun or this great treat.

The ingredients allrecipes.com says you will need are:
8 ounces butter, soft
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a couple of cookie sheets with Release foil or parchment.

Cream butter and sugar with mixer. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir into butter mixture. Shape dough into 1 ½ inch balls and place 3 inches apart on cookie sheets. Insert sticks.

Press down with bottom of sugared glass (I used my hand) to make a circle. Use fork tines to make whiskers. Pinch tops to make ears. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately decorate as pictured with candy corn. Use red candy for nose. Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes 24.

My pictures from my test run didn't turn out so good, so I posted the picture from the original site.

No comments: