Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Colored Popcorn

The first time I tried this snack, I was not too excited. My boyfriends friend had a bag full of popcorn that looked sticky, red, and all stuck together. I couldn't figure out what she was eating and then she offered me a piece. She wouldn't tell me what was on the popcorn and just made me try it anyway. When I put it in my mouth, it was really sweet and had a taste of strawberries. It was real sticky and had a familiar taste. She finally told me what it was, popcorn and Jello.

I thought that this was a weird combination but it was a really good idea. It only takes 25 minutes to make and 10 minutes for prep time. I didn't exactly know how to make it, because her mom had made the popcorn for us, so I looked it up online and found a recipe on how to do it. I tried it myself, and I would suggest spraying the foil or wax paper because it is a very sticky recipe. This recipe has peanuts in it, but I prefer to leave them out.

Ingredients
8 cups popped popcorn

1 cup PLANTERS COCKTAIL Peanuts

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine

3 Tbsp. light corn syrup

1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar or granulated sugar

1 pkg. (4-serving size) Jello Brand Strawberry or Lime Flavor Gelatin

Preparation
LINE 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil or wax paper. Toss popcorn and peanuts in large bowl; set aside.

PLACE butter and syrup in small saucepan; cook on low heat until butter is melted. Add sugar and gelatin; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes. Pour immediately over popcorn mixture; toss to coat well. Spread into prepared pan, using 2 forks to spread evenly.

BAKE at 300°F for 10 minutes. Cool. Remove from pan. Break into small pieces.


This is a fast, easy way to make a pretty healthy snack. To make it even more healthy, just leave out the sugar; it is just as good. Also you don't have to just use strawberry or Lime, you can use any kind you think your consumers will enjoy. You can even make two different batches and mix them together in the end. Overall, I love this snack and would consider it one of my favorites.

No comments: