Sunday, October 7, 2007

An interesting smell at the OSU game...

Uh, I don't know if anyone else reading this blog sat in Section 109 at the OSU game at Ross-Ade, but for the second and third quarters it smelled like vomit. Yeah. Way to kick off a post, huh?

It was interesting, though, how as the wind would change direction and make the smell stronger how my mind jumped to try and analyze and categorize the smell I was getting in terms of analogies. I repeated a few of the ones I thought of to my friends to get a good laugh out of it and make it slightly more tolerable. However, the smell was so bad I ended up just plugging my nose. Now, I don't know if someone did throw up, but the breeze coming from the aisle near where I was sitting did smell like throw up as it hit my olfactory nerves (See diagram.) So, it being an 8 pm game with a full day of pre-game with most of the people there, I have to assume it was what I didn't want it to be.

The reason I am telling you all of this is because those analogies I used to describe the vomit were all food-related. Food, the thing I love so, so much is also one of the few things in the world that I can hate just as much. It was interesting, the combinations of smells and how they tied so strongly into my scent-memories of foods I had previously eaten. Just to show you what I mean, here is a few examples of what I found the vomit to smell like. (These were not joking. They were funny, but the smell I got actually gave me these images and sensations.):

  • "It smells like a dumpster full of Greek food and baby crap!"
  • "It smells like an abandoned Beef Jerky factory!"
  • "It smells like he ate fertilizer after doing Jello shots!"
  • "It smells like a really sweaty naked fat guy fell into a vat of cheddar-cheese flavored popcorn!"
  • "It smells like vinaigrette dressing mixed with really strong Indian food!"

    See, it's all normal food, well some of them are, but the mixes and imagery used to describe the smell all give a sense of complete disgust. I love how that works. I love Greek food and I love Beef Jerky. I love cheddar-cheese and I love Jello. However, the use of them was perfect for what I was smelling last night at the game. Just so you know, the smell was so bad I almost left to go and write this post at halftime.

    Cheers!
  • 1 comment:

    Curiosity said...

    I didn't get the pleasure of watching the game but I definitely know how you feel. I have a sensitive nose and I HATE it when it smells bad. To make things worse, Lafayette has its very own soybean processing plant. On hot days, its really bad.

    The food analogies are very good, but I wonder how YOU know what a really sweaty naked guy who just fell into a vat of cheddar-cheese popcorn smells like.