Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Candy Hierarchy: Whats Your Favorite?

It's finally Halloween and even though I've dubbed that I'm too old to go trick or treating, I still eat my fair share of candy on this day. In the past I've been the pink power ranger, a tomagotchi (that was when they first came out and I went through a phase where I was obsessed), a fairy, and a clown (my mom made me the outfit). But for someone who has a serious sweet tooth, Halloween has never been much about the costumes, it was always about the candy. Knowing from experience, there are certain types of candies and chocolates that I desperatley wanted. But there were also those houses that handed out very UN-Halloween-like treats like raisins and apples, you know what I'm talking about. Halloween is but only 1 day per year, let the kids eat what they want to eat for goodness sakes!

But back to the topic, here are my Top 10 picks for Halloween Hierarchy Confections:

1. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups- These are my all time favorite Halloween treats. I always became ridiculously happy whenever a neighbor gave the full-size peanut butter cups. The mini peanut butter cups are never satisfying. Which genius thought of making those?


2. Almond Joys- There's just something about the combination of sticky sweet coconut mounds, almonds, and chocolate that that could satisfy any sweet tooth. Mounds bars would've made the list too, but missing the almonds are a big no-no

3. Twix Bars- I never really started liking Twix until my later days of trick or treating, but they are now one of my favorites. They're so addicting. The twix bars have a cripsy shortbread topped with thick caramel, encased in a thin layer of milk chocolate. Just saying it makes me want one.

4. 100 Grand Bars! - Chewy caramel covered with crispy milk chocolate. I loved these bars, but sadly I only received a few of these a year during Halloween. Apparently Snickers is always "the chocolate" to give on Halloween

5. Hershey Kisses (or Hugs)- These are some of the best treats to give. What the Kisses (or Hugs) don't make up for size definitely make up for in taste. Such a little deviant trick to get you want more because you have to admit, once you've had one, you want to eat another.


6. KitKat Bars- These crispy wafers that are covered and layered in chocolate is always the way to go when passing out candy. But again with the minis, they're never satisfying. Obviously, the person who came up with the "mini halloween candies" are dentists.


7. Snickers- In general I like Snickers bars. But I think I've builded an aversion to it because every other house on the block on Halloween passes out Snickers. It's a crowd pleaser if you don't want to be known as the neighborhood witch who gives out the worst treats and it's also the safest way to go, but to be honest, it's overkill!


8. Nerds/Sweet Tarts/Dum Dums- Sweet Tarts, Nerds, and Dum Dums were always the candies that were left in my trick or treating bag months and months after the actual holiday ended. These were the candies I used to trade with other kids for the better treats. Also, the Nerds were hard to eat because they spilled everywhere and they turned my fingers pink or purple.

9. Nestle's Crunch/Mr. Goodbars- Another overkill in Halloween treats. I would always go through my bag and find 23987 of these. I know some people that love these bars but I am curiously unattracted to them. They lack an actual chocolate taste in my opinion.


10. Apples and Raisins- Not even going to explain. Enough said.

There are so many more Halloween candies that I haven't explained so give me your hierarchy (best to worst) and tell me what you think!

2 comments:

Threat Level: Midnight said...

along with apples and raisins on number 10, you should also put coupons. it's a horrible thing giving a kid a free appetizer with any order* to Applebee's. oh and especially if it expires in an hour.





*To receive free appetizer the order must be over $20. Offer expires 10/31/07 at 6pm Central Time. Coupon is only accepted at certain locations. To find out the locations nearest to you, go to www.applebees.gov.www\applebees. To find nearest location, you are required to join the Applebee's daily email surveys.



(it took me 3 times to post this comment because the damn word verification and i swear i'm not even intoxicated right now)

Curiosity said...

Apples? That is just not right. How do they expect the kid to get the apple home unscathed. And no child wants an apple instead of a good old Butterfinger. Which brings me to my next point. I see that you completely left out Butterfinger bars. Those are my favorite candy bars by far.

As for Halloween, there was a house in my old neighborhood that all the kids knew to go to. She would give out full sized candy bars. But she lived right next to the lady that gave out pencils and shoelaces. They weren't even cool shoelaces either.