Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Nookies

Ah yes, October Break is over and it is time to go back to work. One thing that stood out to me during October Break was that I felt like I traveled back in time. I took a train down to Chicago and I visited old places, met old friends, and even stayed in my old room back at home. This break has also been the longest break that I've taken since college started and it almost felt like I was in highschool again.

After the miserable train ride back to downtown Chicago, I took a 2nd train to Armitage (another part of Chicago). I met up with my sister and the first thing I demanded to do was eat. We walked for about 15 minutes but we couldn't decide on where to eat. Then a random man came up to us and suggested that we try Nookies. We must've looked really hungry and confused for a random man to walk up to us to give us a suggestion on where to eat. But since he said that he lived in the area, we trusted him.

My first impression of Nookies was that it was comfy and welcoming. There were people eating outside as well as inside and the architecture of the place reminded me of a casual cafe. We walked inside and it was obvious that the place was very busy because the first thing the hostess handed us was a beeper.

After being seated, my sister and I ordered. Breakfast could be ordered any time of day and you could eat eggs with anything! I ordered the zuchini, mushroom, cheddar omlet while my sister ordered the marinated italian chicken sandwich. While we were waiting for the food, I noticed that there were alot of old pictures and paintings on the walls. In contrast, the furniture was very sleek and modern and the music that they played was old 70s rock. The whole vibe of the place was so comfy and the place smelled like pancakes and eggs, which added to the home-iness. Overall, the food was great, whenever I cut into my omlet, the cheddar oozed out and the zuchini and mushroom were both neutral flavors that balanced well with the sharpness of the cheese. I also tried some of my sister's dish (I couldn't help it, besides she offered so it's ok) and needless to say, it was better than mine. The thick cut chicken breast seemed to have been submerged in a marinara sauce in which it was cooked and it was served with a soft white sesame bun. The potatoes that came with the sandwich were hand-shaved very thin with a potato peeler and fried which gave it it's crispy authentic taste.

I left with a very happy stomach that day. Even the after mint/candy tasted great. It was a swedish hard-shell candy that had a chewy center and it came in several different flavors. All in all, my experience at Nookies was very filling. I'm glad that my sister and I listened to the man that came up to us because I know where I'll be eating the next time a go visit Chicago again. It is exactly this kind of experience that a restaurant should exhibit because that's why people come back for more.



No comments: