Thursday, October 4, 2007

Healthy Food? Wait... where?!

Okay, okay, I know that the food service here at Purdue has done its very best to provide each and every college student with as much good food as he can fit on his tray, much less in his stomach, but there are always going to be complaints. Here's another one.

I was really hungry today and coincidentally I went with two friends to Ford. This works out best for our schedules and I only eat at Ford once a week really. I found a plethora of sugary and fried foods. And sugary fried foods. I know that they give healthy options, but none of them taste that good! The grilled chicken breast sandwich I've had at Earhart is excellent, but they throw on cheese and let it bathe in its own juices for too long. The salad bar is top-notch, but I just can't get full off of salad. It's just not a meal.

Finally, at Ford, I found the Chinese food. They had barbecue pork and noodle soup. This is chopped green onions, some barbecue pork, and some ramen noodles all swimming in fresh onion broth. Excellent. Tasty. Healthy? Yes, actually. Even the other Chinese food is usually fried stuff, unless its chicken with lemon grass which is good and "pure" food.

What I want is more entree-style healthy dishes. Just simple cooking that uses simple ingredients and keeps it healthy. No glaze, breading, or syrup, thank you.

Oh, and I want dirt pudding to be served everyday. Then I wouldn't even bother with the entree. I'm serious.

4 comments:

AgentScarn said...

It's true, they do give healthy options but I have to agree, it still sucks. They say the freshman 15 can be avoided but that's a bit of a stretch if the majority of the food has been drowned in butter, bathed in sauce, and stuffed with breading.

And yes, dirt pudding would be a great compromise.

Lindsey Deno said...

So I go to Ford once a week too and I love their mandarin chicken salad! It is so good and I feel like I have made a healthy choice when I eat it.

I would usually agree with you about not getting full off of a salad, but today I ate one and I was actually pretty full afterwards. I think it depends on what you put on it. If you add more protein like ham, sunflower seeds, and egg, it will be more filling.

Purduewaterpolo4 said...

I agree that the chicken breasts they offer at Ford dining court are quite disgusting but if you're willing to put forth the effort, healthy options are available. Actually, when I went away to college I lost weight. Most dining courts have options like sandwiches, vegetarian options and ethnic foods that are healthy alternatives.

Nasus said...

I agree that many times it can get incredibly difficult to scope out a healthy meal at the dining courts amidst the load of deep-fried and canned foods often served. When choosing most meals, I see food that looks like it would be decently healthy if not for the way it was cooked or seasoned. Fortunately, I live in Windsor and have found that our dining court seems to do its best to accommodate for students looking to eat on the healthier side. For instance, they serve a “sizzling salad” every lunch and dinner that consists of a wide variety of meats and your choice of toppings. Similar to your appetite, I find that I can’t get full off just one measly salad, so I always ask the servers for extra chicken or egg. In addition, Windsor provides residences with a vast selection of vegetarian dishes. So if you’re still looking to eat healthier at the dining courts, maybe you should give Windsor a shot and see if it satisfies your health-craving taste buds!