Monday, October 1, 2007

Pappy's....Luckily He's Not Mine

Last night my best friend and I (who came down from Columbia College in Chicago) decided to give Pappy's a try. Pappy's is a classic style diner located in the basement of the Purdue Memorial Union.

Don't worry about trying it, besides the shakes (which even they weren't that good), it is nothing special. The atmosphere itself wasn't all that entertaining. Yes it's cool to eat an "old time" meal in a setting of that sort, but not when I have to wait in line to order and then come back to pick up my meal. I would rather actually sit at the counter and order, something more authentic would make the experience more enjoyable.

I had the standard Pappy's cheeseburger with a chocolate shake (they were out of malt). My friend had two hot dogs and a shake as well. The burger was served on a piece of wax paper and a paper dish, his hot dogs came in a paper dish as well. As this was at least in an older fashion I did like that. But the burger itself seemed to remind me of a very low down and "naked" In-N-Out burger. If you've ever had In-N-Out, especially "animal" style, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, fly yourself on out to Cali and enjoy the finest in burgers there is. You'll thank me.

Besides the after meal amusement looking at the creative high score names on the pinball machines, my dining experience at Pappy's was lackluster. To sum it all up: the food isn't all that special, the atmosphere is weak, but looking at pinball machines is highly entertaining to a college aged males and their peers.

1 comment:

yum1234 said...

My brother would also agree with you. He told me to not even bother eating at Pappy's. He said the fries aren't half bad but everything else is just plain gross. Sorry you didn't know that before hand. I hate bad food!