Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Quick Breads

Okay, so we all love bread. Check. However, all breads are not created the same. If you know what a quick bread is, then you already love it. If you don't know what a quick bread is, then you'll soon find out you already do as well.

My mom called it quick bread, and I don't have any evidence to suggest that it is called otherwise. What it is, to you who don't know, a quick bread is banana bread or lemon-poppyseed bread or zucchini-walnut bread. It's bread that has no yeast in it, but simply uses the magic of baking soda and baking powder to rise to the occasion. You know what I'm talking about now, right?

My mom, for years, made the same chocolate chip banana bread recipe every time we had bananas that went a little too ripe. Then I started making it because it was the perfect breakfast snack. Ever. It was so good. The only thing better than having the bread every morning for a week was being able to eat the dough right when the batch is made. It was so good and easy and quick to make. The hardest part is waiting for it to cool enough to slice off a piece and eat it as to not destroy it.

One day I wanted to try something different and I noticed how the banana bread recipe was just a bread recipe plus bananas and chocolate chips. So I took those out and mixed in peaches and lemon juice. It was really really good. I told my mom about this and she was entirely underwhelmed, almost acting as if I should know about this magic quick bread and what it can do. Crying, once again, from my mother's harsh words, I set out and made a note to always try to explore the depths of quick breads. They're just so damn easy!

Quick breads are more like cake than anything, not using yeast and able to to have different and odd ingredients baked in to enhance flavor. And although they're so much easier than yeast breads, they don't give off that same smell or have that same tenderness and crustiness. However, if you're in need of a quick fix of great dough or a great snack (eating it at night while its still warm is one of the best desserts ever) check out quick breads. Or get a good base recipe and make your own!

No comments: