Saturday, September 22, 2007

How great is food entertainment?

I love the Food network. Love it.

I hate Emeril. Hate him. But I love Alton Brown.

Alton Brown is the host of the Food Network's Good Eats. Padma Lakshmi is the host of Bravo's Top Chef. These two shows were my limited time spent in front of the TV this summer. Give thanks that they exist.

However, we don't get the Food Network or Bravo here at school. We don't get either of these, and I am pissed.

Many of my summer days were spent watching reruns of Good Eats and Top Chef. I never was a fan of that Hell's Kitchen show, that guy got on my nerves. I never realized how strange it was that I enjoyed these kinds of shows until I realized that no one else I knew cooked or was even remotely interested in these shows. I could not believe it! What wasn't there to love about cooking and said related programs?

Then I realized that much of the population thought of cooking as a chore or the local McDonalds. Then I truly started to appreciate the network of food. It is rare that such a specialty channel survives. G4 combined with TechTV to produce an amalgamation of Cheaters reruns and crap. Attack of the Show is good, especially with Olivia Munn on screen. However, having a show on a network like Bravo, and having a food network is an entirely chance existence that I took for granted until I really came into my own with cooking.

Alton Brown fulfilled my scientific side for cooking. He had a definite process and method for everything that he made on the show. Top Chef fulfilled my desire for a smart reality show and had supermodel host. I never was a fan of any other show that had contestants until I first viewed this series.

Thank god for food entertainment and the hours of excellent programming and information it provides. God bless Alton Brown and Padma Lakshmi.

4 comments:

deeeelish said...

Ohh, I do love the foodnetwork myself! If I do watch tv, that is what I turn it to. I am a huge fan of Rachael Ray, Giada, Ina, and Nigella. But I do agree, Emeril makes me want to barf! :)

i.see.dead.people said...

I think your blog starts off being offensive. I understand you saying what you do not like, but hate is a strong word. To tell you the truth I did not continue to read your blog after the first two lines. I personally love to watch Emeril Live. One of my favorite things he does is when he says "Bam" or "lets kick it up a notch". Even though this is a class assignment you never know who is going to be reading your blogs and it could rub some people the wrong way. Since you "hate" Emeril so much I would like to see you write a blog on why you hate him so much, and exactly what you feel is wrong with his show.

Gogol said...

Good Eats is Food Network's best show. It's smart, funny, and original. Best of all are the scientific explanations using puppets.

Wishydig said...

I hate Emeril's show.

Hate.

Have you seen Anthony Bourdain's shows or read his books? He's quite good.