Friday, September 14, 2007

Tally me banana!!



For some reason, I have really gotten into baking these last few weeks. It almost feels therapeutic to me and so far I am loving it. The bread I made last week was awesome and we have completely eaten it all. But tonight I got the itch for banana bread and it just so happened that we had 3 ripe bananas. Perfect!! So again, at 8pm I start making bread. Perhaps one day I should try doing this during the day instead of staying up super late baking bread. But anyways, I used another recipe off of Hillbilly Housewife. I believe its called "My Best Banana Bread," and I assure you, it is!! I have already eaten 2 slices of it while it was warm and fresh out of the oven. There is just something about homemade banana bread that makes me think of home and growing up. My mom used to make us banana bread as well as many other things and she was the one who taught me how to cook. Thanks mom!


So, while I was baking my bread I had some time on my hands, so I started to look for more bread recipes. I have to admit that I really enjoy sourdough bread, so that got me thinking that maybe I should try and make my own. My only problem was I didn't have a starter. Oh, but I found one from Allrecipes and you can find it here. So, while I was waiting for my banana bread to finish baking, I whipped up the starter. I figure it will be my adventure for next week, so check back to see how the sourdough bread turns out!

1 comment:

Curiosity said...

Let me tell you, I make an awesome banana bread. I like baking too. I like how much it feels like chemistry, which is another one of my loves. The best thing you can do with banana bread is bake it in the morning before breakfast. It makes great breakfast food and if you have any left, you can have some for dessert after dinner.

Though it is weird to get an itch for banana bread.

The one thing about banana bread is that it is very important to make your own. Store bought just isn't as good and it's not that hard to make.

Good luck with your sourdough bread. Be careful with burning it, though.