Sunday, September 9, 2007

"I'm making waffles!"

So, I can honestly say I had one of the best breakfast experiences of my life today. I can also say that it was a brilliant move on my part, and an excellent start to my breakfast-eating career at Purdue (as this is the start of my 5th week here and only my first breakfast meal). Here we go!

Waffles and ice cream is a delicious meal that I craved this morning (well afternoon technically). As I woke up to the chronic beeping of my friends alarm. I wished for more sleep, but then my friend had the brilliant idea of, "dude, lets get some waffles for breakfast!" What a great idea! Instantly my stomach agreed with my brain, and since half the time my stomach controls my brain, this was a good thing. Since I hadn't eaten breakfast at Purdue yet, I figured waffles would be a good way to break into the system. But then I had the genius idea of making my waffle the best waffle creation ever by adding ice cream to it.

Now I'm not sure about you, but I love ice cream on waffles. The first time I had ice cream on waffles was at Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh, Pa when I was ten years of age. I remember the entire entourage. My god-father (and great-uncle) inviting me to try the delicious treat he just purchased; my stomach still queasy from the last ride; the enticing smell of whipped cream, ice cream, strawberries and waffle. Oh man it was heaven! heaven I tell you!

That introduction to this wonderful breakfast feast (although I'm pretty sure it was late afternoon at that particularly occasion) was the beginning of my waffle and ice cream passion. Some other memorable waffle/ice cream times include: at 0200 my friend and I, after a long night of recording in his basement (our rap group I'll have you know!), decide to make eggo waffles. Can you guess what I find in the freezer next to the box of waffles? YOU GUESSED IT! ICE CREAM! Next thing you know, ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, the whole she-bang was out on the counter ready to be made into a breakfast bonanza. I think the amount of calories I consumed in that sitting might have been fatal. But who knows, maybe I'm the man of steel (most likely not), but one thing definitely true is that waffles and ice cream are not my kryptonite.

I think that that is a good basis to my love of waffles and ice cream. Now to the experience of today. My friend and I decided to eat at Earhart Dining Hall as it is close to his residence of Meredith. Upon entry and arrival I noticed that there was quite a few people eating at this time. it was about 12:40pm when we got in line at the waffle station. I can honestly tell you that I was beyond excited. a meager twelve minute wait (approx. time, I don't want to do the math out for you, I'm not a math person) and a few threats to my friend that he better not finish the batter, as it was getting rather low, I stepped up to one of the waffle makers and set my griddle into action (interestingly enough they are custom griddles with Purdue train logo's in the middle). I surveyed the surrounding scene to see if there was anything in the immediate area to aid my waffle extravaganza plans. unfortunately the only thing of use was some flavored syrup. I decided on strawberry syrup, as my original inkling for the morning had been fresh strawberries. After my waffle was finished, I proceeded to the ice cream area over by the desert station (I prefer hard, not soft-serve on my waffles). Again nothing extra to aid my endeavors, only the ice cream itself. BUT they had strawberry cheesecake ice cream. Yes, I know what your saying, strawberry syrup, strawberry cheesecake ice cream, must be destiny! I think it was!

Once the serenity of strawberry sensations had been realized it was time to dive into my breakfast. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera to take a picture, but it looked amazing let me tell you. And boy-oh-boy did it taste EXQUISITE! the strawberry flavor was just right. I used three scoops of ice cream and a medium amount of syrup (I find that artificial syrup, on high doses, leaves a burning sensation at the back of the throat and bland taste upon the palate). I wouldn't be surprised if neighboring diners heard me delight to my friend upon the excellent quality of my meal, it was just that good. I feel that I must say, my friends waffle was rather plain. He had just an ample amount of syrup on it, nothing special at all. Not to mention that the syrup he used came out of a pump bottle, and nothing is weirder or more gross (for lack of a better word) sounding then syrup coming out of an almost empty pump bottle.

That being said I encourage and highly recommend that you try a waffle and ice cream dish of your design sometime soon. I would recommend a local establishment rather than frozen waffles, but sometimes they just hit the spot. Especially at random times when a waffle craving hits (usually involving vicious mind control by your stomach demanding instantaneous dining of delicious waffles covered in deeply discoursed ingredients).

Enjoy!

ohh and make sure you LEGGO MY EGGO!

No comments: