Thursday, September 27, 2007

Lemony Dessert!


Lemon squares are a popular bar cookie dessert made with a cookie crust and lemony topping. They are a personal favorite of mine. They remind me of lunches growing up throughout high school. One of my friends parents would make lemon bars once a week for everyone at our lunch table.

Since they are one of my favorites, I decided to share a recipe with everyone else. My mom followed this recipe and thought it was fairly easy, and I thought they were delicious. I found this recipe on a blog called Just Hungry.

Even better lemon squares

  • 1/2 cup (4 oz, or 120 g) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups flour - cake flour, or all-purpose, not bread flour
  • 1/4 cup icing (powdered) sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 Tbs. flour
  • 1/2 cups fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice
  • 1 Tbs. grated lemon or lime rind

Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C. Put the butter, 1 1/2 cups of flour, and icing sugar into the food processor. Process until mixed and crumbly. Alternatively, mix the ingredients together with your hands until crumbly. Turn out into a 8" x 8" / 20cm x 20cm square baking pan. Press the mixture around the bottom and sides. Bake for about 15 minutes until lightly browned.

In the meantime, make the filling. Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and process until blended (or mix by hand). Pour the filling into the crust, and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

Makes 16 squares.


These home made lemon squares hit the spot. At the end, we suggest putting powdered sugar on the top of them. My friends, family, and myself all thought they were pretty good, but would agree that you would have to like lemon to like this particular dessert.

I would suggest these bar cookies for any occasion, and I would definitely take the time to bake them again. I hope you enjoy the lemon squares just as much as I did.

No comments: